Friday, March 19, 2010

Good News or Bad News First?

I have been a "car girl" pretty much my whole life.  I spent more time (MUCH more time!) under the hood of my dad's Toyota truck than I ever did in the kitchen with Mom.  I have always been attentive to vehicles, and I am super opinionated about them.  I was raised (rather unorthodox!) facing backwards in a 5-point harness racing seat bolted to the bed of the shelled Toyota 4x4, Dad going on for hours about the benefits of a Toyota.  I've always told Andy I only want him to buy me two things: a 2 carat ruby ring and a Toyota 4-Runner.  Well, suffice it to say that the 4-Runner was much easier to obtain!  I've been enjoying The Mommy Car (as we lovingly refer to it as) for 2.5 years.  It has moved us into our first house, pulled countless cars out of the snow, gotten us safely to Moe's every week, and driven Ashton home from the hospital (twice, actually!).  A few features I like to brag about: height above all other cars in town, back window rolls down (it's amazing!), so much room to change a diaper or nurse a baby in middle back seat with car seats on either side, and of course, the 4-wheel drive.   Now, Andy and I are pretty anal about most things in our lives.  We like to make sure our spiritual lives, marriage, kids' attitudes, personal grooming, and house are in tip-top shape.  And that leaves no room for the vehicles.  Not that we don't care, we just don't have the time.  So when the check engine lamp came on the other day, I wasn't super surprised (but never the less, freaked out!).  Andy and I are finally getting our finances under control and debts paid off and savings in place for the first time in 7 years, and I was so afraid that whatever was wrong would eat up all of Andy's hard work of keeping me from spending.  So Andy sacrificed some sleep this morning and elbowed The Mommy Car into the dealership.  Andy called me up after 2 hours:  "You want the good news or the bad news?"  Me: (always the optimist) "The bad news, of course."  Andy: "The catalytic converter is shot and it's going to be $2100, minus initial labor, to replace it."  Me: "You said there was good news?"  Andy: "This problem is so common that Toyota includes it in its warranty .... completely.  It's free, even the labor done today."  Praise the Lord ... Big Time!  Thankfully I DID listen to Dad and bought a used vehicle with extended warranty.  And yes, I have to agree and could go on for hours on how amazing Toyota is, no matter WHAT the media blows up about.  And by the way: the dealership told Andy they haven't even had 1 customer bring their vehicle in for a stuck accelerator.  Hmmm ... I'm not even going to get started on my feelings for the media and their frenzy to make anything news.  Just one more thing to say: LOVE my Toyota!

No comments:

Post a Comment